Sabbatical Journey

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Farewell to Manziana



This is the last week of the renewal program here in Manziana. We completed a three day retreat this evening facilitated by Fr. Tony McSweeney from Rome. Fr. Tony gave us the last session on the Eucharist and concluded a three day retreat with Holy Hour and Benediction. It was a fitting way to gather and pray during these days of integrating our eight weeks here at the renewal program. Two of the Marist brothers have left for Malaysia. Most of the brothers will be leaving on Sunday morning after our closing Eucharist and dinner on Saturday afternoon. They will be going back to their communities in South Africa, Sri Lankra, Ireland, Australia and the United States. All of us leave with lots of pleasant memories of our time together. We leave with a little more knowledge and experiences of living religious life with better clarity as we continue our life and mission. Personally I found this renewal program very nourishing and nuturing in my life at this stage of my life of 45 years both as a brother and priest in the Society of Mary. Even though I was the only priest in the program I have experienced the friendship and companionship of journeying together as brothers. Sharing my life with the brothers in large and small groups, table conversatons, and pilgrimages and other recreational times have been enriching for me. Discovering and sharing the richness of each other ministries especially the Marist missionary works have broaden my perspective of ministry and Church. During our Marianists pilgrimage to Bordeaux, Perigueux, Mussidan, Trenquelleon, Agen, Verdelais, Le Pian-Medoc and Saragossa, I have come to appreciate the roots and origins of our Marianist family. The brothers at Bordeaux, Saragossa, and San Sebastian have extended their hospitality which deepend my sense of our brotherhood in the Society of Mary. I am so grateful to have this time for prayer, reflection, reading, writing, and deepening my life as a Marianist.