Sabbatical Journey

Friday, September 01, 2006

Farewell to California




Today is Friday, the lst of September. Officially, my ten year term as Director ended on August 31, 2006. It has been a wonderful time here at the Newman Center having spent ten years as Director of the Newman Ministry. We had a BBQ gathering on Sunday with several of the staff members along with graduates of the UC Santa Cruz who have been active throughout these years and friends of the Newman Community. It was great to reminisce about our time together and to support our new Director of Newman Community. Bro. David Betz begins his first term as Director today. I went to the Camadolese Monastery at Big Sur last Tuesday for a couple of days for retreat and relaxation. It was great to be able to pray, reflect, and be thankful to God for having the opportunity to serve the students here at the Newman Center and to minister to the people here in the Monterey Bay area. I will miss the students and parishoners here in Santa Cruz so much. Now it is time to move on as I begin my year of Sabbatical. I leave on Wednesday, September 6th for Rome via Ireland and London. I'm so grateful and excited about this coming year and will keep all of you in prayer as I travel and experience the wonders and beauty of my Sabbatical.