Sabbatical Journey

Saturday, September 23, 2006

London



At the present time I'm not able to post pictures of my tour of Ireland last week; some technical problems. Anyway, here's some pictures of London and descriptions of my trip to London. Just came back this afternoon from London visiting friends from Santa Cruz who have spent two weeks there. It was my first visit there since 1974 when I was there as an advisor for our student tour of Europe. I enjoyed this visit and it brought back many great memories of London. Enjoyed visiting Westminister Abbey and the National Gallery; great masterpieces of artists from 1250-1500 - many religious themes. Also enjoyed the gallery of paintings from Monet to Picasso - Impressionist school. Also enjoyed the theatre and two musicals; Billy Elliot and Avenue Q. London is a bustling city and filled with history. After three hours in the British Musuem my brain was saturated; time out for latte in the afternoon. Enjoyed the boat tour of the Thames River seeing the London Bridge and the Tower Bridge which is easy to be confused; most Americans thought that we bought the Tower Bridge which is located in Arizona; in reality it was the London Bridge, quite ordinary in structure and not as elaborate as the Tower Bridge. I have another week to visit Dublin before going to Rome to begin my Sabbatical. Will keep you posted about my adventures here in Dublin.